Monday, April 14, 2008

Oktoberfest = Bingofest


On the 2nd leg of our Ontario road trip, we were at Oktoberfest, in Kitchener. A weekend in navan is more drunken than that! my first experience was some old people waltzing around a community centre, taking frequent breaks to drink from their TINY CUPS of beer.

And we saw 2 tiny old women dancing so we asked could we take a photo. Then an hour later the smaller of the 2 came over and said "i hope you arent making fun of me. I have a son and he is really quite tall!" We were kinda like.... who cares, and no we're not slaggin ya! then she gave us her address so we'd post her the photo. "I will in me ballix, little lady" I felt like sayin!!

The next night had a good jazz band which was fine. still no big pitchers of beer though. just little cups. ridiculous. I was bewildered at how this could be such a worldwide famous festival.

After Oktoberfest, we continued north to Mount Forrest where we stayed with the Goodalls. Old friends of the family. Dating back to the Lynn Lake days (70s and early 80s). When I fell down a metal staircase but did not die. I don't remember that though.

The Goodalls live in a vast flat area of Ontario. We saw some Mennonites in a horse and cart. They are people whose religion do not allow them to use cars as transport. they have to go by horse and cart. Unbelievable. Even though some of them have mobile phones, they have no cars. Silly billys.


I found out today that sloths sleep for 20 hours per day. They are a wierd looking monkey type creature with long arms. I think that's the kinda animal I would like to be.


No comments: