Wednesday, April 16, 2008

More from our Autumn road trips

More from our Autumn road trips>>>

After Niagara we went through the US border, through NY state. They are not sound at the border. They have a big framed picture of Bush. I wanted to throw my bottle of coke at it but I would DEFINITELY be jailed for 6 years. They even took Elaines fingerprints at the border. I dont blame them, she's fairly dodgy.

We stayed in Brockville that night which is the 'Ennis' of Canada. Nothing to do and just makes you want to leave. Then on to Ottawa in our rented car called "Scottie". We called it "Scottie" because Nathan and Edels vehicle they have in Australia is called "Scootie" and mum kept referring to it as "Scottie". So we decided it would be handy for mum if there was such a vehicle as "Scottie". Good.

Ottawa is a bit quiet. We were staying with friends and all the beer stores were closed. So we drove to Quebec (the province!) to buy beer because they are more sound when it comes to selling beer at night. i.e. they do that.

On from there was Algonquin park where we camped for 2 nights. It wasn't as full of bears as I thought. I thought you wouldnt be able to move with the amount of bears.

It turned out we were camping on a tree-lined lake shore with loads of other campers around us with campfires and beers and barbeques. That's way better than being in a dark forest with loads of black bears.

We were warned about animals coming to steal food, and we did encounter such a threat. We got scalded by a raccoon. I remember the cartoon "Raccoons". They were sound raccoons. But don't be fooled. Raccoons are like those scumbags in templebar, except smaller and furrier.


This raccoon was peering at our delicious barbeque feast of 4 sausages, from behind a tree. I stamped at it and it didnt even flinch! that worried me! I couldnt shoo it away. And Elaine said, "will I look in the Lonely Planet to see what we should do?" Classic. Eventually I shook me guitar case at it and it jumped away. It was obviously afraid I would sing it a song.

The next morning the area was very serene. I could hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore. (wonderful). We went canoeing and it was really windy and choppy on the lake so we were going about 1 mile per hour. haha.

I would recommend camping in Rock Lake, Algonquin Park to anyone who wants to see how wonderful the Canadian wilderness can be. But do it when weather is good. and bring beer.


The morning we dropped Scottie back (our rented car), we had to get up while it was still dark. We were on a highway and there was a huge thunder and lightning storm, with huge drops of rain battering against our windshield. "The Road To Hell" by Chris Rea came on our CD player and it was so suited! very epic and atmospheric!

For more photos you can visit panthro555.bebo.com and check my photo albums.

No comments: