Friday, September 5, 2008

The World's Most Dangerous Road


One day in La Paz we went on an excursion to cycle down the World's Most Dangerous road, recommended by old Marcus Magee. It was VERY dangerous. 64km down a mountain road sometimes 1 metre from the cliffs edge with an unforgiving 400m drop. No barracades or railings either. Wise, eh?
There were crosses erected along the edge every few kilometres for people who had taken a long plunge to the bottom. Elaine stayed on the bus but the rest of us went on the bikes. Scary stuff. None of us were killed though. And that was fine with me. It was rainy and slippery and I nearly fell off my bike once or twice due to not applying the correct pressure on the brakes.
After we got to the bottom all muddy and destroyed by overdoses of adrenaline, we went to an animal sanctuary. Old John puked his guts up. And we had some food. Then we went wandering on a trail where there was a Boa Constrictor so Elaine did not go far because as you know from this blog, she would die if she saw a snake.

This little monkey jumped from the guides shoulder onto mine. She was wrapping her tail around my arm and apparently that is a VERY flirtatious gesture. So I was chuffed. The only problem was that I already have a girlfriend and also that the monkey was a monkey. Her name was Chica. She was a bit of a babygirl. You kno wum sayin. She kept pulling my hair to keep her balance on my shoulder, but I'm not into that stuff.

There was also a baby goat that kept wandering into the mens toilets. A bit of a George Michael if you ask me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm glad you haven't died. at any point in your life. yet....