Sunday, July 13, 2008

Buenos Aires is sound

Buenos Aires is a great place - the night life is fantastic, although we didn't see much of that because the parties in our hostel were so good. We stayed in the Clan Hostel, near the centre.

We met loads of brilliant people in that hostel. The first night was a barbeque with all the red wine you can drink (but they stopped that after about 2 hours probably because we were MILLING through the wine). The steak and other meats were class. Here we met old Helen and Liz who we had met previously in Santiago. They are sound. I have never overdosed on red wine and puked red puke everywhere but I'm certain that some people did that on that night. An English lad called Charlie fell through a plastic tarp on the terrace that was acting as a windbreaker. It was fantastic.

We saw a mad cemetry called The Recoleta Cemetery, which I loved. Instead of graves it had beautifully built marble crypts. It was really spooky. Evita´s crypt is there. It´s fairly harmless. The cemetery is huge and is made up of paths and avenues all lined with the crypts. There were too many cats walking around! Elaine and I were really freaked out at first by all the coffins we could see inside the crypts, but we got used to it. You could actually reach in and touch some of the coffins if you wanted. If you were a mentaller.

Some of the crypt doors had knockers on them... I´m still wondering about that.

The Recoleta Cemetery is a really nice resting place. I think I would prefer a crypt to a grave. But I´d be dead so I wouldn´t know. Throw me anywhere I´ll be grand.

So then we went to the Evita museum. Didn´t learn much from it because we don´t know Spanish except tiny formalities and curse words.

One of the nights in B.A. (which is what some backpackers call it) we went to 2 Irish bars. I can´t believe the amount of Irish bars in the world. We also went to a pirateship themed bar. It had a cool pirateship entrance, and the staff were dressed as pirates. But sadly there were no pirates in there, and it was playing poor dance music. No deal.

There are a few "all you can eat" places in B.A. We have had some savage steak in Argentina. On Bolivar Ave we went to an amazing place where we got 18 courses. We were there for 5 hours. Happily locked if I remember correctly. Best wine and restaurant experience I´ve ever had! We had cow´s cheek as one course, which had been boiled for 13 hours. Pretty good. Also ´sweetbreads´, which is the gland around the cows heart. Also fantastic.

Also we did the usual art museum thing which I won´t bother to describe. It was good though, believe me. It had stuff like Picasso, Van Gogh and Monet.

Of course we did the whole tango thing. We got a lesson for an hour. I´d say Elaine´s toes were sore, because I wasn´t the besht! After that there was a steak meal with all the red wine you can drink (of course), along with a real tango show. Deadly stuff. It had live musicians, singing, and dancing on the stage and all around the restaurant. We got photos with the pro dancers, and they tried to sell us the photos but we are scabs. haha. I don´t have any pictures up yet because not many hostels have a pc with a USB port.

That night of course we were hammered and we were drinking at the hostel bar afterwards at 2.30am even though we had to get a taxi to the airport at 4am. Packing our bags, checking out, getting a taxi, checkin for the flight, it´s all a blur. But we made it to Rio anyway. We were actually asleep through the takeoff of the plane. That´s when you know you´re locked.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i want to party with you...

Mark Orford said...

Oh, but of course! miss ya buddy!