Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tom Waits - Arizona and El Paso

Being in Phoenix or El Paso is like being in a sauna, unless you are relieved by air conditioning indoors. I´m fine with being roasting outside after a winter in Toronto where -10 was considered a lovely mild day. Being out in 35 degrees plus was deadly. Lovely and cosy.

Phoenix was quiet enough. Old Deano and I went to an Irish Bar before seeing Tom Waits at The Orpheum. No photos were allowed, ah well. It has been a dream of mine for many years to see Tom Waits live and I never thought I would see the day where it would happen. I thought it would be impossible to get tickets for these gigs.

The concert was class. Tom had a platform he sang from, and the other musicians surrounded him. As well as the vocalist, he is also the conductor of the band. It´s amazing how it is done. He has a drummer, double bass player, keyboard guy, guitarist, and a sax player, but they all alternate between other instruments.

It was a great show full of memorable mad moments like a glittery hat that acted as a disco ball. There was only one song I did not know which I think was a new one. I was worried I wouldn´t know a lot of the stuff... but I was wrong to doubt my disturbingly extreme fanaticism.

We flew down to El Paso next and we even crossed the border to Mexico for a few hours where we stood out completely. Lots of people were annoying us. e.g. offering us drugs and stuff, by whispering ´Pharmacy? Pharmacy?´ But it was fine.

We just headed back across the border to see old Tom once again, in the Plaza Theatre. Elaine and I were on the balcony for this one. The setlist was alternated and the gig was just as excellent as the last. It´s always great to see Tom Waits.

Another highlight of El Paso was that we stayed in the hotel where John Dillinger stayed when he was spying on the bank down the street, planning to rob it with his gang. If you haven´t heard of Dillinger, look him up, it´s a great story. I have a photo of myself outside his hotel room! I am going skiing tomorrow so I have to go sleepies now. I´m in Mendoza. I hope I can faithfully keep this old blogaloon up to date.

BOP!

1 comment:

sandi said...

Love your descriptives! I live in Arizona (the sauna, quite right). Would love to see pix of your adventures!